Monday 9 September 2013

Coach of the Malawi national team quits after loss to Nigeria



Tom Saintfiet has quit as coach of the Malawi national team following
his side’s 0-2 loss to Nigeria in a 2014 World Cup qualifying game
in Calabar on Saturday.

Saintfiet whose appointment was ratified on July 2 by the Football Association
of Malawi (FAM) explained that he had an “agreement till midnight on Saturday” with FAM.

The Belgian also revealed that his major aim as Malawi coach was to mastermind a stunning success against the reigning African champions, Nigeria in Calabar, a feat he failed to achieve.

“I never was here to win many games. I was here to win one game (on Saturday) against Nigeria and that was the only goal,” Saintfiet said at the post-match press conference.

He was however cryptic when queried about his next move.

“I don’t feel any pressure because (the Football Association of Malawi) had an agreement till midnight on Saturday.

“From Sunday morning, I have no agreement with the federation and that was clear so I am a professional coach and my future? That we will see in the coming weeks but I am not worried about that,” he said.

Saintfiet played football between 1983 to 1997 (FC Boom) before becoming a football manager at the age of 24, becoming the youngest manager in Belgian football.

No comments:

Post a Comment